Thursday, March 3, 2016

"An Apology by a Toxic Metal"

This is my AoW nonfiction poem.

“An Apology by a Toxic Metal”

It is I, lead. Yes, I-who-poisoned-Flint.
But I’m not here to talk about my crimes.
I’m here to apologize.

The industry wanted me to keep people safe
but I could not.
All I could do
was hurt people (I’m toxic)
and when I tried to tell them
they denied me.
We had known since Roman times
and my crimes did not shift names (unlike their gods).

However, this was lost
and I was used to prevent
cholera and typhus
and thus, fear.
My ads were like Donald Trump,
spouting ludicrous lies
but I, honestly, tried to prevent the awful, atrocious
fate that befell those who drank from me
and ended up having another industry use my miniature Danger Dolan doughboy
to hurt and kill people.

The outrage against me and my corroded corpse
is deserved.
I failed at my job
and I am sorry.


https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e6/Lead_electrolytic_and_1cm3_cube.jpg
Lead:This is me and my brothers in 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment