Sunday, March 13, 2016

Poetry Reflection Blog

      This is the final blog for our poetry unit. I know you're all thinking "Yes!! New unit!!" However, I'd prefer it if you kept those comments to yourself, as this is VERY important and for a grade (according to Mrs. Larson). But, enough about that, let's get to the actual blog!

   The first question I have to answer is this:"Poetry can be a vital, real part of everyone's life. What place or importance does poetry have in my own life? Does poetry belong to everyone? How do I know?" Poetry has a lot of importance in my life, as any other form of literature does. It can express things in ways unique only to poetry itself and is a great way to spread the word about something. It can also make me laugh like no other written medium.  Also, poetry does belong to everyone. Why? Well, it's easier to get a point across as a poem than as an article, as well as being a favorite childhood (and possibly adulthood) pastime. Poetry has even worked itself into every inch of popular culture. Poems can be songs, if just put them to music and sing the words. Poems can be raps, if you just add music in the background. This connects to my last point about pop culture because, as most of us know, song and rap drive culture, and poetry drives them. That means that poetry is our culture, and some might say everyone's culture. Therefore, poetry belongs to everyone, from the smallest baby to the oldest great-great-grandfather.

       The next question that must be answered says, "How does the life and experiences of a poet affect the poem he/she creates?" My answer to that is, "That is often the core of poems: life experiences." However, it goes beyond that, as people who have had tough lives often write more glum and gloomy poems, and vice versa. This can be evidenced by Edgar Allen Poe; his poems were gloomy, as was his life. On the opposite end of the spectrum is me: I've had a (mostly) happy life so far, therefore my poems are mostly happy. It is really simple.

     Now I have to analyze some poems, so I'll be analyzing "Jabberwocky" first. It is written in quatrain stanzas, which gave Mr. Carroll a solid excuse to make up nonsense words. This allowed the single meaning of "complete nonsense" to thrive. All the nonsense words added to the nonsensical and humorous effects within the poem. There was also a trope from a certain game series in there where you repeat things without giving them any logical meaning and let the players/readers figure it out for themselves.

     The next part is one of my own poems, which will be my AoW poem. I wrote it with hints of rhyme in mind, without it rhyming per se.  I also have it as image-heavy as possible specifically to add to the effect. I designed the stanza breaks so that it would seem as if the speaker was pausing for a moment before going on with his tale. The meaning is "If you are used as a pawn, you'll regret it later." I have accomplished that easily with the tricks above.

Links 
-Bio-Poem

-AoW Poem
-Where I'm From Poem
-Spine Poem
-Found Poem
-The poorly formatted nonsense poem











No comments:

Post a Comment