Friday, October 28, 2016

First Quarter Reflection Blog

Before we start: Happy Halloween! Also, since the quarter is rather conveniently ending today, I have a reflection blog to write. Enjoy!

       My E/LA goals for this year are few, but critical. Firstly, I need to get down the science of homework balancing. I have had problems, in the past, with equalizing homework load and time spent. But no longer! You see, I have a formula in order to solve this, which I won't get into here to save time. Another goal I have is to ensure that my writing skills are up to the level of the other people in this class at all times, as my stories and pieces are often lackluster compared to others. This is, in fact, a fixable issue, and I will fix it. The third and final goal I have is to remember to have fun doing some of this stuff, as I often forget to do. "Have fun." Such simple advice, but also so hard at times... moving on!

    I have learned a lot about the world. The first thing I learned is that the universe doesn't halt when your traditions are forced to. I actually learned this over the summer, when a combination of surgery and circumstances made it so I was unable to swim on Wednesdays or go to the Dells like I usually do. I thought it would be the end of the world, but the world kept going, which was quite a shock to the past me. I also learned that no matter what happens to you, you can always rebound (unless you die, of course). R.I.C. gave me the strength I needed to get back to some semblance of normality, and I use that strength daily. The third and final thing I learned is that there are always going to be people who want to watch sanity burn. The Alicia Project assembly failure showed me that, as maybe 10% of the student body got 100% of us in trouble, and that's the way it always is in a school behavioral failure. 2-3 kids get 26 of us in trouble, and so on... and it appears that I've realized why this keeps happening: it physically cannot be stopped. The way middle school is set up prevents us from doing so, no matter what measures are taken.

     There are two central strategies that have benefited me so far this year. The first is, of course, the TIQA format. By virtue of it effectively being an AoW or Blog Mad Libs, it has made homework take far less time, and that is always a good thing. Heck, I could make a copy & paste template right now and my fellow students would have so much free time that they could take over the WORLD! Anyway, another strategy that has benefited me is F.R:G.I.A.D.I.C, which stands for Forgo Reading:Get It All Done In Class. It's exactly what it sounds like, and if I have enough time, I can often ensure a complete lack of homework (then I read). If all students did this, homework would be gone forever! It's useful, is what I'm trying to say.

To conclude: Acronyms are hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment